Search

Ditch the bulky vent

Updated: Jul 6, 2020

In the rear master bedroom we want a queen bed with room to walk on both sides. Lots of skoolies will have the bed in a way that requires one person to crawl over the bed to get in but this will not work for me. Our bus has these angled air intakes on both sides of the rear deck and the space between them will not fit a queen mattress. I have given lots of thought to removing one or both and there doesn't seem to be a reason not to as long as the vent space is replaced.


I decided to just go for it and move the vents to the engine access doors. It was far easier then I thought it would be (so far). The cover was just screwed on and came off pretty easy after drilling out some stripped screws.



I cut it up and reused the steel to make a simple cover for the hole. The exterior patch will be done with some Duraplate cut to fit like the windows.



Later I will install some new vents in the side engine access door. The new vents will be much larger with air scoops on the side to force air into the engine compartment.


The passenger side was really easy because there wasn't anything in the vent. We decided to leave the drivers side because it had the engine air filter intake that was more work than it was worth to move.


37 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Day 13

-Friday morning we woke up bright and early. It was COLD. The temperature got down to 35 degrees in the middle of the night and Jared had to go out and start the generator at 4am to run the space heat

Day 12

-Thursday morning we woke up early and broke camp and hit the road. Everyone grabbed a hot breakfast from the kitchen of the camp we were staying at. They cooked up made-to-order pancakes and waffles